Dopesick: A Look at the Groundbreaking Series about the Opioid Addiction Pandemic’s Origins and Impact
Dominic NicosiaOctober 14, 2021
On Wednesday, October 13, Hulu premiered a television series called Dopesick, which tells the story of how the opioid crisis began from the perspective of a small rural town. The series focuses specifically on the doctor who unwittingly got his patients hooked through his partnership with Purdue Pharma and the patients and loved ones that were affected.
The show is, to date, the most comprehensive account of the opioid crisis, telling the story from all angles, including the doctor, the manufacturing and marketing entities, the patient, the loved one, the prosecutor, and many others. It captures voices that have, to this point, been silent or ignored during the 30-plus year public health crisis.
What Dopesick Reminds Us about Opioid Addiction
One of the most enduring takeaways from Dopesick is just how pervasive opioid addiction is how it impacts every aspect of life and society. It’s easy to forget that, beyond the “user” and the “dealer”, there are established institutions and trusted entities that played a part in the proliferation of this crisis and continue to do so. Last year over 93,000 people died of drug overdose, an overwhelming majority of which were directly attributable to opioids. Now, more than ever, it’s especially important to remind people that help and support are out there if and when they or their loved ones need it.
Recovery Unplugged is grateful to shows like Dopesick for their honest and granular look at opioid addiction and what they do for the prevention, advocacy, and recovery conversations. If you or someone you care about are struggling with heroin, opioids, or any other type of drug addiction issues, Recovery Unplugged is ready to help you overcome your substance use and reclaim your life. You don’t have to struggle with addiction alone any longer. Our representatives are standing by 24-7 to help you start your treatment.
- Drug & Alcohol Addiction Treatment Centers
- Fort Lauderdale Drug Rehab
- West Palm Beach Drug Rehab
- Alcohol & Drug Rehab in Nashville, TN
- Virginia Drug & Alcohol Rehab
- Rehabs in Florida
- Tennessee Drug Rehab
- Rehabs in Washington, DC
- Am I an Addict?
- Helping You Detox Off Drugs and Alcohol
- Our Residential Treatment Program
- Our Inpatient Drug Treatment Program
- Intensive Outpatient Treatment Program
- Partial Hospitalization Program
- Medication Assisted Treatment Program (MAT)
- Our Music-Assisted Treatment
- Faith Based Recovery Programs
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy
- Mental Health Rehab
- Resource for Knowing What Drugs Smell Like
- 5 Children's Books That Discuss Drugs and Alcohol
- How Do Drugs and Alcohol Affect Your Sex Life?
- HBO Series Euphoria Follows Woman Suffering from Drug Addiction
- Suboxone - Is it Obsolete?
- Rebuilding Relationships After Addiction
- A Guide to What Drugs Look Like and How to Identify Them by Appearance
- Do You Have A Sports Addiction?
- The Lasting Scars of Self-Harm
- The Best Composers to Listen to While Healing
- This One Time, I went to Rehab in Mexico
- Alcohol and Job Loss: Getting Help before Getting Fired
- How Long Does Valium Withdrawal Last?