Blue Cross Blue Shield for Drug Rehab: Does My Insurance Cover Treatment?
You can, in fact, use your Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance to pay for rehab and addiction treatment. Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) is one of the largest health insurance providers in the country. The company is made of over 35 independent and locally owned entities covering over 106 million people (nearly a third of the US population).
When you consider that over 19 million Americans currently struggle with substance use disorder (SUD), there’s no denying that these populations overlap to some degree; this is why Blue Cross Blue Shield provides coverage for alcohol and drug rehab for its members and their immediate families.
If you or someone you care about are struggling with substance use disorder, and are covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield, here are some things to know about using your insurance to pay for treatment.
What Kind of Rehab Services Does Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover?
Generally speaking, Blue Cross Blue Shield covers a wide range of addiction treatment services, including but not limited to:
- Inpatient/Residential Rehab – Patients stay at their treatment center for an average of 28-30 days and receive counseling and supplemental therapies as they work to heal from addiction in a safe, supportive, and distraction-free environment.
- Regular Outpatient and Intensive Outpatient Rehab – Daily rehab programs that range from an average of five to eight hours per day, four to six days per week.
- Detoxification and Withdrawal Management – Medical care from trained doctors and nurses to help you or your loved one overcome acute withdrawal symptoms.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) – Use of FDA-approved medications (buprenorphine, naltrexone, and methadone) to help with opioid or alcohol use disorder.
Blue Cross Blue Shield may also cover sober living care, telemedicine/virtual treatment, and other types of treatment, depending upon your specific scope of coverage. They offer a substance abuse resource center to help eligible patients get all the answers and support they need in their research. This resource is open to everyone, regardless of their insurance status.
How Much of My Treatment Will Be Covered?
Your coverage will depend on what type of plan you have, as well as the company providing it. BCBS plans all into four categories:
- Bronze Plans – Covers around 60 percent of medical costs, with a low monthly payment and a high deductible.
- Silver Plans – Covers around 70 percent of medical costs, with a slightly higher monthly payment and lower deductible.
- Gold Plans – Covers around 80 percent of medical costs, with a higher monthly payment and lower deductible.
- Platinum Plans – Covers approximately 90 percent of medical costs, with the highest monthly payment and the lowest deductible.
The best way to determine how much your BCBS policy covers is by contacting your provider to get a full breakdown of your benefits. You can also contact the treatment center you’re considering for a complete insurance verification.
Recovery Unplugged Is In-Network with Blue Cross Blue Shield
Recovery Unplugged is pleased to announce that we are now in-network with Blue Cross Blue Shield in both Texas and Florida. This means that we have pre-negotiated deals with this insurance leader to make treatment more affordable and accessible for you or your loved one. Call us now for an insurance verification, and our admissions representatives will let you know just how much of your treatment is covered, based on your care needs.
You don’t have to let cost get in the way of care. Blue Cross Blue Shield provides at least some level of coverage for your treatment, and we’re ready to work with you to get the most out of your treatment. Your insurance is there for a reason, and you can use it to reclaim your life from substance use disorder. Call Recovery Unplugged today.