Sober living can provide a bridge to independence, peace of mind and balanced mental health in addiction recovery. The reality of alcohol and drug addiction is that it impacts every area of a person’s life, including their financial stability, their housing situation and their relationships with their families. If you or your loved one are struggling with alcohol or drug abuse, you know that it systematically robs you of everything good in your life and takes your feet out from under you; sober housing resources can give you the time, support and assistance you need to stay on track with your sobriety while incrementally rebuilding your life in recovery.
What Is Sober Living?
Sober homes are residences in which clients exiting or approaching the end of addiction treatment can temporarily stay as they prepare to exit their program and enter their everyday lives. These resources are often affiliated with treatment centers but can also be coordinated and implemented by independent mental health organizations. Residents can stay in sober living houses anywhere from a few weeks or days to months, depending on their ongoing care needs and progress in treatment and recovery.
Advantages of Sober Housing
There are multiple benefits and advantages to sober housing, including:
- Stability – Sober living gives you or your loved one a clean, safe and stable living environment while you gradually focus on addressing the different areas of your life that suffered, due to substance abuse. Many people who get caught up in addiction have nowhere to go after leaving treatment. Sober living gives them time to figure out their living situation.
- Accountability – Sober housing are monitored by an experienced and qualified professional who coordinates regular drug screenings and other sobriety-related efforts as a condition of residents’ continued eligibility. If residents wish to stay, they must stay clean and adhere to house rules.
- Community and Support – Residents of sober homes of live with others in recovery, giving them a chance to exchange support, build relationships and have people to lean on during more vulnerable periods. The bonds residents form in sober living often continue for years after they leave their residence.
- Personal Safety – The first stages of post-treatment recovery can leave you or your loved one feeling emotionally fragile. Sober living offers monitoring to reduce risk of self-harm and relapse.
- Chance to Repair Family Relationships – Some families are uncomfortable or simply unable to immediately reintegrate their loved one back into their homes and dynamics. Sober living gives you or your loved one a place to stay while rebuilding relationships with family.
Perhaps the most valuable benefit of sober living is time and “breathing” room. When you’re coming out of treatment, it’s easy to feel like you have to do everything all at once. There is some much damage to repair; so much to make up for. Sober houses let you take a deep breath, regroup and start getting your life back in order, one step at a time.
Sober Living at Recovery Unplugged
Recovery Unplugged offers sober living in Florida, Texas and at all other locations throughout the country as part of our outpatient and partial-hospitalization program (PHP) options. Contact us today to learn more about our services and to determine your eligibility. We look forward to helping you.