LGBTQ+ addiction treatment centers offer specialized care for the unique mental health issues this community faces. Substance use disorder (SUD) is more prevalent in people who identify as transgender, lesbian, gay, queer and bisexual. Treatment programs exist that address the triggers, stressors and trauma experienced by this population, including violence, abuse, stigmatization and discrimination based on sexual and/or gender identity.
Attend a Program Experienced in Treating LGBTQ+ Clients
Attending a drug and rehab center that is aware of the different issues faced by gay, bisexual and lesbian clients is important. These populations deal with different forms of stigmatization and discrimination. According to research, other factors that need to be addressed include:
- Medical management for those who receive hormone treatment
- Isolation experienced by bisexuals from both heterosexual and homosexual individuals
- The high rate of addiction and illegal drug use by gay men
- Binge-drinking and alcoholism in lesbians
- Discrimination faced by medical providers
Studies show that LGBTQ+ people discriminated against are at four times the increased risk of developing a substance use disorder. Issues that may be experienced by a person who identifies as part of this marginalized community include:
- Violence resulting from their gender identity or sexual orientation
- Domestic abuse from intimate partners and members of their family
- Discrimination based on their sexuality, gender or other factors
- Losing custody of their child(ren)
- Job loss or difficulty finding employment
- Rejection from family, peers and community
- Exclusion from activities
- Lack of social support
Choose an LGBTQ+ Addiction Treatment Center That Offers Peer Support
Some drug and alcohol treatment centers also provide an important resource to recovery: peer support from those with whom you share commonalities. This helps you form a healthy social support system – a proven indicator that helps addicts avoid relapse and remain in recovery. It is important that if you identify as LGBTQ+, you find a judgment and prejudice-free treatment center tailored to your specific needs. Treatment programs that offer the option of housing trans-gendered patients with others with whom they share their self-identified gender make for a more comfortable experience and increases the likelihood of maintaining long-term sobriety.
Dual-Diagnosis Treatment is Often Necessary
Since many LGBTQ+ people have co-occurring mental health disorders, a treatment center with a dual-diagnosis program is often needed to ensure the best possible outcome. Treatment should also address learning coping skills to manage the issues commonly faced by the community, including but not limited to:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Shame and guilt resulting from sexual orientation and/or gender identify
- Dealing with discrimination
- Accepting your identity and disclosing it to others
Understanding and confronting these unique stressors and the mental health issues that can occur are of pivotal importance in finding the right treatment center.
Select an LGBTQ+ Treatment Center That Will Address All Your Needs
Recovery Unplugged is ready to help you or your loved one at any of our LGBTQ+ addiction treatment centers. At our Fort Lauderdale, FL location, we offer a wide variety of services specially tailored to the LGBTQ+ community. These include multiple treatment programs, case management services, sober living, medication-assisted treatment (MAT), dual-diagnosis care and music-assisted therapy. We also offer a wide range of amenities where you may socialize with people to whom you can relate, including residences with shared kitchen spaces and fully-equipped music spaces – all in a supportive, compassionate setting in a beautiful and relaxing tropical environment.