Fighting Addiction With Music
Addiction is a state characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, despite adverse consequences, but you already knew that. You also that here at Recovery Unplugged we specialize in a rehabilitation approach that is unique, long-lasting, and truly individualized. We combine traditional and cognitive behavioral rehabilitation approaches by using music as a catalyst to break down defenses to help facilitate, motivate and inspire the change necessary for long-term recovery and sobriety in fighting addiction.
We use an amazingly powerful tool that no other drug rehab center in Florida has: music-assisted treatment. Clients are able to use music as a catalyst to start to break down the barriers we build through their lives and their addictions. Along with music groups and live performances clients at Recovery Unplugged have the opportunity to explore a creative side of themselves through music, writing lyrics, and even recording their songs in our studio regardless of prior musical experience. Clients are also given the chance to express themselves performing for their peers. So what does this do for our clients? Does fighting addiction with music help?
- When people first become sober their emotions run very high. Music helps people eradicate their unhelpful emotions.
- Listening to or playing music can be a great stress manager.
- Boredom is another relapse trigger for those in early recovery. Playing or listening to music and help fill bored moments.
- When people first become sober they can struggle with focus. Music improves an addicts concentration levels.
- Music inspires us to do better!